MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
First Sony Ericsson and now Nokia!! WTF!!

Go to page
1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS UIQ 3.x
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plevyadophy
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: P800, P910i, Nok 9300, P990i

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Mar.2011 03:17    Post subject: First Sony Ericsson and now Nokia!! WTF!!   Reply with quote   

Gosh!! It seems like just yesterday ( http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42081&postdays=0&postorder =asc&start=0 ) Michal and I were discussing Sony Ericsson's stupid attitude towards UIQ (well, not surprising given that Sony is involved; they'll no doubt f*** the Konica Minolta heritage too given time).

Now I see, from the front page of this site that Nokia have "thrown in the towel too"

Damn. So what does that leave me with then?!!! Do I just hpe my SE P990i lasts until I die?!!! Buying an Android? I doubt I could do that just on the basis of that stupid name. Apple iPhones? I really only see them as being useful to me as a photogapher coz of the apps (otherwise I think of them as silly toys for spotty faced teenagers who don't have the strength of character NOT to follow what other kids are doing or for middle aged men going through a mid-life crisis and who are too coward to buy a fast sports car, and don't wanna have a mistress because a divorce is expensive and might upset the kids, so they buy an iPhone thinking it makes them seem cool and trendy).

So what do you folks think?

Regards,
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Mar.2011 05:24    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Damn. So what does that leave me with then?!!!

If you liked UIQ phones then you will surely like the N900. Please give it a try. And it's going to get upgrade to MeeGo soon...

I love my N900 and no other phone on the market at the moment can replace it...

P.S. And you can install Android (NITdroid) on it, too.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: ajack

plevyadophy
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 18.Mar.2011 17:19    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hi Michal,

Yeah, but according to what I read from your report on the front page, assuming I have not mis-interpreted it, Nokia have abandoned Symbian.

So my worry is that if I buy these devices, and spend lots of money on aps etc, I will be buying into a system with no future.

Regards,

plevyadophy
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 323

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Friday, 18.Mar.2011 17:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

N900 is not a Symbian device - it runs on Maemo, which is a truly open linux-based operating system.
Maemo is going to be replaced by Meego (developed by Nokia and Intel).
A lot of applications (written in Qt) should be compatible between Maemo and Meego.

But still you have the problem that the future of the OS is not quite secure - Nokia say the want to keep Meego as a "development OS"...

But actually 95% of the apps you can get for N900 are free, and a lot of them are better quality than what you get as paid apps for other OSes, so you probably won't have to spend too much money on apps.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: plevyadophy

plevyadophy
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 18.Mar.2011 18:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Casanunda wrote:
N900 is not a Symbian device - it runs on Maemo, which is a truly open linux-based operating system.
Maemo is going to be replaced by Meego (developed by Nokia and Intel).
A lot of applications (written in Qt) should be compatible between Maemo and Meego.

But still you have the problem that the future of the OS is not quite secure - Nokia say the want to keep Meego as a "development OS"...

But actually 95% of the apps you can get for N900 are free, and a lot of them are better quality than what you get as paid apps for other OSes, so you probably won't have to spend too much money on apps.

I thought Nokia were giving up on the Maemo/Meego/Qt thing, at least that is how I read Michal's article.

So what EXACTLY is it that Nokia are abandoning?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

plevyadophy
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 18.Mar.2011 18:48    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Yeah, but according to what I read from your report on the front page, assuming I have not mis-interpreted it, Nokia have abandoned Symbian.

The N900 is Maemo, not Symbian. And it's going to get an upgrade to MeeGo soon.

Quote:

So my worry is that if I buy these devices, and spend lots of money on aps

You won't. Something like 98% of apps for the Maemo (and soon MeeGo) platform are open source and free. I haven't spent a single cent on software since I got the N900 Razz

http://my-maemo.com/software/

The question is if you need a device that works great, will continue working in the next year or two, and huge community guarantees that free apps will be coming, regardless of whether the operating system will be further developed or not, or if the most important criterion for you is that the system is still developed.

I suggested the N900 because it's been serving me really well for 1,5 years now and it's so good that I'll continue using it over the next year or more, until I find a proper replacement. And Maemo is probably the most UIQ-alike platform of all.

Last edited by Michal Jerz on Friday, 18.Mar.2011 19:24; edited 1 time in total

plevyadophy
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 18.Mar.2011 19:07    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:

OK then I will have to look into this.

So what, in simple terms, was/is it that Nokia are abandoning?

And how will/does it affect mobile device users?

Thanks.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 18.Mar.2011 19:23    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

So what, in simple terms, was/is it that Nokia are abandoning?

No one really knows, because information provided by them is completely chaotic.

It seems that they're going to ditch Symbian in a year or two, when they manage to create their WP7 phones. Unless they change their mind.

It seems that they are going to continue their MeeGo development, but as a "development platform".

And so on.

If they succeed with WP7, they'll probably drop everything else, but that's probably only in late 2012 or so, i.e. in almost two years. If they somehow don't succeed with WP7 then no one really knows what happens, maybe they don't survive it.

But, as I wrote, this has actually little to do with the N900 itself. It works great, and it won't stop working in a month or two, and huge and dynamic Maemo/MeeGo community guarantees that great (and free) software will keep coming.

The Community even started to release their own system updates for the N900 after Nokia stopped, fixing bugs and adding features (like e.g. support for portrait mode) that Nokia failed to provide.

The N900 is alive and kicking, REGARDLESS of what's happening with Nokia.

N/A
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thanks received:
31 in 27 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: N/A

PostPosted: Friday, 18.Mar.2011 19:26    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Nokia is phasing out Symbian as their primary smartphone platform in favour of Windows Phone 7 and later.

Nokia has also abandoned its idea of using MeeGo as their high-end smartphone platform, and is shrinking the effort to some kind of a just-in-case-backup-plan-B-project. They'll try to deliver one phone model before the year ends, but otherwise scaling down the effort. Whether they'll ever have the ability to revive it - should the need arise - remains to be seen.

Most probably after the April parliament elections in Finland, Nokia will announce how this will affect their Symbian and MeeGo organizations (how many people - probably in the thousands, including those that leave voluntarily - they will lay off). The company does not dare to announce layoffs before the elections.

plevyadophy
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 18.Mar.2011 20:12    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

N/A wrote:
Nokia is phasing out Symbian as their primary <a href="http://my-smartphone.info">smartphone</a> platform in favour of Windows Phone 7 and later.

Nokia has also abandoned its idea of using MeeGo as their high-end <a href="http://my-smartphone.info">smartphone</a> platform, and is shrinking the effort to some kind of a just-in-case-backup-plan-B-project. They'll try to deliver one phone model before the year ends, but otherwise scaling down the effort. Whether they'll ever have the ability to revive it - should the need arise - remains to be seen.

Most probably after the April parliament elections in Finland, Nokia will announce how this will affect their Symbian and MeeGo organizations (how many people - probably in the thousands, including those that leave voluntarily - they will lay off). The company does not dare to announce layoffs before the elections.

Thanks for the info.

One thing I am curious about though is, why do you think/suggest that a private company's announcements about layoffs should hinge on when the election is?

Regards,
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 18.Mar.2011 20:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

One thing I am curious about though is, why do you think/suggest that a private company's announcements about layoffs should hinge on when the election is?

Well, it's going to be thousands of people. And that's actually not all, because many people don't work directly for Nokia, but still their jobs are closely connected with Symbian. So it may mean that 10,000 or more people will lose their jobs. For Finland it means a sudden increase of unemployment of several per cent... And all these people will expect the government to help them.... So I think that there's a pressure being made on Nokia not to do this before elections, or else it might cause riots and affect how people will vote...
plevyadophy
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 18.Mar.2011 20:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hmm, so manipulation of so called democracy ( politicians and business getting together to massage the figures ). Sad
N/A
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thanks received:
31 in 27 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: N/A

PostPosted: Saturday, 19.Mar.2011 11:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Nokia employs on its board a former prime minister and career politician of the country, and his party (the major center party) he represented, is not doing so well, and probably would do much worse if the layoffs were announced before the elections. The current prime minister is also from his former party, and the minister looking after industry related affairs in the country, is also from said party.

Purely coincidential, I'm sure.
plevyadophy
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 19.Mar.2011 11:58    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

N/A wrote:
Nokia employs on its board a former prime minister and career politician of the country, and his party (the major center party) he represented, is not doing so well, and probably would do much worse if the layoffs were announced before the elections. The current prime minister is also from his former party, and the minister looking after industry related affairs in the country, is also from said party.

Purely coincidential, I'm sure.

Yes, 100% coincidence.

Wink
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 19.Mar.2011 16:38    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

so called democracy

That's why I am a monarchist
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS UIQ 3.x All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic