MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
RAM boosters. Do they work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS UIQ 3.x
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plevyadophy
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: P800, P910i, Nok 9300, P990i

PostPosted: Monday, 03.Jan.2011 15:40    Post subject: RAM boosters. Do they work?   Reply with quote   

Memory / RAM boosters.

Do they work?

What are they boosting, is it internal phone storage or actual RAM (random access volatile memory)?

And if they do work, are there any you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

And a Happy New Year to you all.

plevyadophy
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 03.Jan.2011 16:05    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

What these applications do is basically RECLAIMING memory.

When you run applications and work with your device, memory often gets "fragmented", which means that applications reserve some memory blocks in various areas, leaving some blocks of free memory between these used blocks. This causes that the largest CONTIGUOUS block of available memory is usually much smaller than the total amount of free memory, simply because there are many small, separate blocks and not one contiguous block. "RAM boosters" try to rearrange memory allocation (in a similar way to disk defragmentation) so that free blocks are next to each other and thus the largest contiguous free memory block gets bigger. This is useful because applications need to allocate such an contiguous block. For instance, if you run the Opera browser and it needs 10 MB free RAM, it needs it in one contiguous block. Even if there is much more free memory than 10 MB but in separate, small blocks, Opera will not be able to allocate them and will quit with "Not enough memory" error as it needs one contiguous block.

So "RAM booster" type apps work in the background and from time to time (or manually) try to optimize memory allocation.

Another function is freeing memory blocks allocated by poorly written applications which didn't free them upon exit, or had a memory leak.

So yes, RAM boosters are quite useful on a mobile device with limited resources as they improve memory management.

On UIQ3 devices you can use e.g. one of the versions of Swiss Manager which provides various memory cleanup and optimization functions. The Elite version can do it automatically.
plevyadophy
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 03.Jan.2011 16:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hi,

Thanks for that reply.

It explains why I have had that "Not enough memory" message a few times even though I haven't had much running on the device.

I just had a scout around my hard drive and found that I purchased/downloaded Swiss Manager Pro and MemoryUp Professional-Mobile RAM Booster about a year ago but never used. The RAM Booster install files are .JAR and .JAD.

Will this combo be any good and how does one install those .JAR and JAD files?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 03.Jan.2011 16:55    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

The RAM Booster install files are .JAR and .JAD.

So it is a Java MIDP application and as such I don't think it can do much when it comes to proper memory management as midlets live in a 'sandbox' and don't really have access to full hardware and memory.

So Swiss Manager is probably a better choice in this case.

Quote:

how does one install those .JAR and JAD files?

Simply send the .jar file to your phone e.g. via Bluetooth and then open it. You can ignore the .jad file.
plevyadophy
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 03.Jan.2011 18:04    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
Quote:

The RAM Booster install files are .JAR and .JAD.

So it is a Java MIDP application and as such I don't think it can do much when it comes to proper memory management as midlets live in a 'sandbox' and don't really have access to full hardware and memory.

So Swiss Manager is probably a better choice in this case.

Quote:

how does one install those .JAR and JAD files?

Simply send the .jar file to your phone e.g. via Bluetooth and then open it. You can ignore the .jad file.

Hi,

Thanks for the informative reply.

So, do I just use the Swiss Pro that I already have or should I now buy Swiss Elite???

Thanks in advance.

plevyadophy
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 03.Jan.2011 18:41    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

So, do I just use the Swiss Pro that I already have or should I now buy Swiss Elite???

There is a trial version of the Elite edition available, so I think that you should download it and check if it provides and improvements/enhancements over the Pro version worth paying for...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS UIQ 3.x All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic