MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Video Calling - Any way of testing functionality?

Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS UIQ 3.x
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plevyadophy
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: P800, P910i, Nok 9300, P990i

PostPosted: Monday, 03.Jan.2011 15:12    Post subject: Video Calling - Any way of testing functionality?   Reply with quote   

I wanna test the video calling functionality of my phone but most of the people I would call don't have video calling phones and if they do they aren't on a mobile phone tarrif/price plan that allows it.

So I wanna know if there is any website/online tools that will enable me to test the Video Calling functions of my phone, and to do so for free (if possible) except of course for any standard network calling charges.

I hope someone can be of assistance.

Thanks in advance.

And a Happy New Year to you all.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 03.Jan.2011 16:12    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I haven't heard about such a service.

The only thing that comes to my mind is that you go to your mobile operator's store. They usually have some test units there with SIM cards fitted and I'm sure they'd allow you to make a video call to that phone. The additional advantage would be that you could hold both phones at the same time and be able to see video quality on both of them simultaneously.
plevyadophy
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 03.Jan.2011 16:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hi,

Thanks. Cool.

I hadn't thought of that.

I now recall that some networks have/had what they call "Experience Stores" whereby you can actually experience the use of real products and services rather than relying on brochures and dummy phones.

I will go see if I can find myself one such store and report back here on the outcome.

Regards,

plevyadophy
P990fan
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: P990iáR9GA001_162037/1

PostPosted: Wednesday, 19.Jan.2011 07:24    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hi, I can assure you video calling on P990i works fine - quite often I use this function, so if in your opinion your phone is generally efficient you shouldn't worry about it.
pvanbeek
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 77

Phone: N9 N900 formerly P990i, P800 6600

PostPosted: Thursday, 20.Jan.2011 00:58    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

You can test the front camera in the sevice menu - ((Jog Dial Up/ Press * / Jog Dial Down / Jog Dial Down / Press * /Jog Dial Down/ Press *) If that works and you can make 3G calls I'd be amazed if you couldn't make a video call.
plevyadophy
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 20.Jan.2011 05:26    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

P990fan wrote:
Hi, I can assure you video calling on P990i works fine - quite often I use this function, so if in your opinion your phone is generally efficient you shouldn't worry about it.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have had this phone for just about a year now but have only this month started to use it.

I recall, I think, that I wasn't too impressed with it when I tested it back then with the only two people i knew who also had video capable phones ( unfortunately, they no longer have those devices, one of which was a SE P1i ). I found that the video was often chopped up and the video call line would often disconnect.

I am based in London, in the United Kingdom. Where are you based? What is the video call quality like where you are.

Also, is it possible to make video calls to someone using an iPhone? And what about Skype video calls, is that possible?

Thanks in advance.

plevyadophy.
plevyadophy
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 20.Jan.2011 05:31    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

pvanbeek wrote:
You can test the front camera in the sevice menu - ((Jog Dial Up/ Press * / Jog Dial Down / Jog Dial Down / Press * /Jog Dial Down/ Press *) If that works and you can make 3G calls I'd be amazed if you couldn't make a video call.

I don't understand your Service Menu instructions ( it doesn't seem to work ), can you please explain it again.

Thanks.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 21.Jan.2011 01:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I don't understand your Service Menu instructions ( it doesn't seem to work ),

Please see our UIQ3 FAQ section:

http://my-symbian.com/uiq3/faq/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=4

The following users say THANKS! for this post: plevyadophy

P990fan
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 21.Jan.2011 19:55    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

plevyadophy wrote:
[...]

I don't understand your Service Menu instructions ( it doesn't seem to work ), can you please explain it again.

Thanks.

G'day,
First of all camera testing; to make story short - in FO mode open Phone app, then turn jog dial up and press * on the screen keyboard, next turn jog dial 2 steps (clics) down and press * as above, next
turn jog dial 1 step down, press * and service menu will display. In FC mode just follow above steps with phone keyboard.
But in my opinion to check the front camera, with more options, it can
be done more easily from main menu>phone>video phone>drop down menu.

I am afraid that is not possible to perform video calls via Skype.
There were even reported problems with voice calls via Skype - Skype
simply dropped support for UIQ3. The only way I could manage to perform VoIP calls was using OptiMobile UniPhone application supported by SE. In addition to this application, P990i_R6E28 needs two more, Sony Ericsson VoIP support libraries: SEMC_VoIP_Audio Enabler.sis and SEMC_VoIP_Tele Enabler.sis.

Video calling: I've used this 3 times today with positive effects
before I read your post. Here I note that during those calls I did not move, I was at home. I am now in Warsaw, Poland.

iPhone, sorry, what is it? Wink It should be possible if it supports 3G video calls.

Post via P990i.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: gymbo

plevyadophy
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 24.Jan.2011 16:23    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

P990fan wrote:
Posted: Friday, 21.Jan.2011 17:55 Post subject:

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

plevyadophy wrote:
[...]

Thanks.

G'day,
First of all camera testing; to make story short - in FO mode open Phone app, then turn jog dial up and press * on the screen keyboard, next turn jog dial 2 steps (clics) down and press * as above, next
turn jog dial 1 step down, press * and service menu will display. In FC mode just follow above steps with phone keyboard.

I am afraid that is not possible to perform video calls via Skype.
simply dropped support for UIQ3. The only way I could manage to perform VoIP calls was using OptiMobile UniPhone application supported by SE. In addition to this application, P990i_R6E28 needs two more, Sony Ericsson VoIP support libraries: SEMC_VoIP_Audio Enabler.sis and SEMC_VoIP_Tele Enabler.sis.

Video calling: I've used this 3 times today with positive effects
before I read your post. Here I note that during those calls I did not move, I was at home. I am now in Warsaw, Poland.

iPhone, sorry, what is it? It should be possible if it supports 3G video calls.

Post via P990i.

Thanks for your reply.

I got the service menu up, but I had to switch the phone off,then switch it back on again, and just at the point where the phone asks for the PIN I entered the key sequence to get the Service Menu to appear. I could also get the Service Menu up in Flip Open mode too.

The options you talk of in "main menu>phone>video phone>drop down menu" don't work on my phone; there's nothing there of any use.

With regard to VOIP, you mentioned three things:
~ OptiMobile UniPhone application supported by SE.
~ SEMC_VoIP_Audio Enabler.sis
~ SEMC_VoIP_Tele Enabler.sis.

From where can I get those three items?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

plevyadophy
P990fan
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 25.Jan.2011 20:45    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I think the misunderstanding happened.
Quote:
I had to switch the phone off,then switch it back on again, and just at the point where the phone asks for the PIN I entered the key sequence to get the Service Menu to appear.

If you run Phone app. in flip open (FO) mode you can enter there Service menu key sequence. Otherwise this is strange because there is almost always in Service menus back-space button except for "Keyboard test" and "Display", in other case you could use side back-space button.

Quote:
The options you talk of in "main menu>phone>video phone>drop down menu" don't work on my phone; there's nothing there of any use.

This is also strange; in Video phone drop down menu I have 9 options.
"SEUS, best solution for all malfunction" :wink:

As for today is not so easy to find legal and free UniPhone download or you can go to OptiMobile site, http://optimobile.se/index.html You have to register there.
In other case you can use "search VoIP" on this forum or Google "optimobile uniphone for sony ericsson p990i".

What's your FW version?
plevyadophy
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 26.Jan.2011 04:05    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

P990fan wrote:
I think the misunderstanding happened.
[...]

This is also strange; in Video phone drop down menu I have 9 options.
"SEUS, best solution for all malfunction" Wink

As for today is not so easy to find legal and free UniPhone download or you can go to OptiMobile site, http://optimobile.se/index.html You have to register there.
In other case you can use "search VoIP" on this forum or Google "optimobile uniphone for sony ericsson p990i".

What's your FW version?

Service Menu
----------------

I have just done it again, and I can now access the Service Menu in FO mode.

Video Phone options
------------------------

In FO mode, I go to the Video Phone app, and the drop-down menu only gives me the following options:
~ Paster number
~ SOS numbers
~ Call voicemail

If I type in a number to call, the same drop-down menu gives me additional items, that look like this:

~ Video call
~ Copy number
~ Add to Contacts
~ Paster number
~ SOS numbers

Firmware
-----------

My firmware is as follows:

Phone software version: CXC 162037 R9GA001

CDA version: CDA 162007/1 R6E28

Regards,

plevyadophy
P990fan
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 26.Jan.2011 14:19    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Okay, You have the latest firmware.
Jan 21. I wrote;
Quote:

Jan 19. pvanbeek wrote;
Quote:

What about your video calls, can you make it Question
plevyadophy
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 28.Jan.2011 04:55    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

P990fan wrote:
Okay, You have the latest firmware.
Jan 21. I wrote; [...]

What about your video calls, can you make it Question

Unfortunately, I have still not had an opportunity to try out video calling. However, I did manage to test the front and rear cameras by using the Service Menu.

Now, going back to a comment you made earlier I would like to ask you something about VoIP calls. How do you do that?

Earlier you said:

"I am afraid that is not possible to perform video calls via Skype.
simply dropped support for UIQ3. The only way I could manage to perform VoIP calls was using OptiMobile UniPhone application supported by SE. In addition to this application, P990i_R6E28 needs two more, Sony Ericsson VoIP support libraries: SEMC_VoIP_Audio Enabler.sis and SEMC_VoIP_Tele Enabler.sis."

I managed to find a download of the UniPhone user manual. After reading the first few pages, I got the impression that to make VoIP calls I will need to sign up with a VoIP service provider. And only after I have done that, can I set up UniPhone to route my calls through VoIP. So I am thinking that to do this VoIP thing I will need to sign up woth someone like Skype, and then use settings provided by the Skype service to run calls through UniPhone.

Have I got all that correct?

Please explain how this VoIP thing is done.

Thanks in advance.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 28.Jan.2011 10:29    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

If it is Skype calls that you want to get, why don't you simply follow the advice I gave you in this thread and install iSkoot, Fring, IM+ or some other UIQ3 application supporting Skype?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS UIQ 3.x All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic