MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
7710 reborn!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS Series 90
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taike
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: 9210, 7710, E71, 5800XM, N810, N900, E7, 808, Jolla, Lumia 640XL, Lumix CM1, Lumia 950, Aqua Fish

PostPosted: Friday, 03.Oct.2008 04:03    Post subject: 7710 reborn!   Reply with quote   

5800 XpressMusic!

40 more pixels than 7710's display. HSDPA. Zeiss camera! N820 or 5800, which one should I go for?

I still use my 7710. Sheet/PDF/JPG of 7710 still shine so I replaced the whole plastc housing with a brand new one lately Smile

Cheers!
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 03.Oct.2008 14:19    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

40 more pixels than 7710's display. HSDPA. Zeiss camera! N820 or 5800, which one should I go for?

The N820 (it's not certain if that's the name of the upcoming Tablet) is NOT a phone. It'll have a SIM card slot but only for packet data (Internet connectivity) and not for voice calls.
taike
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: 9210, 7710, E71, 5800XM, N810, N900, E7, 808, Jolla, Lumia 640XL, Lumix CM1, Lumia 950, Aqua Fish

PostPosted: Friday, 03.Oct.2008 15:10    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Of course, you're right. And the topic title may be misleading. Linux HSDPA Internet tablet with QWERTY keyboard should not be compared with a touch panel based XpressMusic phone. Perhaps I was too excited to see some genes of 7710 being carried over to 5800 XpressMusic Smile

But I'm holding the purchase of a DSC so I need Zeiss BT camera. WiFi SD card would not be my solution.

In any case, my beloved 7710 will be still useful for office documents browser till S60 QuickOffice reaches S80/90 level of document compatibility in my usage.

P.S. I'm also one of those who are looking farward seeing your Maemo web site.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 03.Oct.2008 15:38    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

P.S. I'm also one of those who are looking farward seeing your Maemo web site

I'm still working on it in my spare time. My goal is to make it available before or along with the availability of the new Tablet.

I'm a huge fan of the Tablets. I never thought I'd accept carrying two separate devices (a phone and a PDA) until I got the first N800. I fell in love with the Maemo platform, the huge screen and overall performance. No other device I know provides such a fantastic web browsing experience. The E90 can't even compete with it.

I might even give the Maemo site higher priority than My-Symbian, but my biggest fear is if My-Maemo is able to maintain its own running costs. It's difficult even with My-Symbian and with My-Maemo it'll most probably be even worse as all software is free which means no earnings from selling software, only ads can bring some revenue. It's not about getting any profit but about being able to cover the running costs, which I have serious problems with even in case of My-Symbian... So I fear that when I launch My-Maemo and it generates some additional costs and no revenue to cover them, I may end up closing both sites because of being unable to maintain them....
taike
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 04.Oct.2008 03:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Nokia tablets offer the best solutions but I've been waiting for GPRS/HSDPA support. I still like the sexy form of 770. My symbian career srated with Psion Revo/RevoPlus/Mako/5MX and later I switched to Nokia 9210 and 7710. The screen resolutions is always the most critical factor for my small computer. I just cannot downgrade to any lower resolution device than 7710. That's why I'm so happy about 5800, which is not a music-frenzy teen's phone - the real power under the hood.

My-Symbian is a dispensable asset for the Symbian communities. Nobody else but you can run this professionally dedicated site. Users come here get help or chat then go, not realizing how tough to keep the popular site without sufficient revenue to run. All of us must think hard and find a way to support this great site. Or it'll be too late to shout out in tears when you decide to shut down the site. It's a knocking on the wood!
nj7
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

Phone: S60 v1_v2_v3_v5_^3_Android

PostPosted: Sunday, 05.Oct.2008 22:57    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Agree! First, Nokia N800 / 810, for me miss the point... It´s a shame, without 3G support. The new device, N820 (?), with 3G, could be the great PC, always connected and always with the user.
About "Michal Jerz" comment, my hint, and I know, that site it´s about "Symbian", but could be open to another platform, with a sub section... mayb more like an evolution, then, a Symbian radical change.
And I realize how hard could be sustain a site like this, with all the cost involved... I wish all the luck, because it´s a good place to learn about mobile life.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 05.Oct.2008 23:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

About "Michal Jerz" comment, my hint, and I know, that site it´s about "Symbian", but could be open to another platform, with a sub section... mayb more like an evolution, then, a Symbian radical change.

It actually doesn't matter from a technical or financial point of view if I just add a Maemo subsection to My-Symbian or if I launch it as a separate site. Same amount of work, same resulting traffic, i.e. cost. Actually, a separate site may even turn out to generate lower traffic because in such case it's clearly separated from the Symbian stuff and people get the Maemo-related content they look for instantly, without having to browse the site looking for a Maemo section and generating unnecessary traffic on Symbian-related pages before they find the Maemo part...

As I wrote, the only thing I'm worried about is if the additional traffic generated by Tablet users visiting either the Maemo section or the separate Maemo site will result also in some additional revenue covering cost of the traffic, or not. If not then launching the Maemo site/section (no matter how much I like Maemo and how much I'd love to run a site devoted to it) may be a risky undertaking.

Please note that the Maemo platform is very different than Symbian or Windows Mobile when it comes to possible revenue sources for a webmaster. Unlike in case of Symbian or WM, there is no such thing as commercial software for the Maemo platform - virtually all software is free which causes that getting any funds from selling software is not an option. The only possibility is advertising, but also in this case it's quite limited. Tablets are still a niche market so there isn't much accessories for it (all I can think of is memory cards), there is no commercial developers wanting to advertise their software.... hardly anything. Of course, you can show unrelated Google ads of e.g. cars, mobile phones, movies, electronic equipment etc. but this probably won't bring much clicks.

That's probably why there's very litte large and serious websites devoted to Maemo Tablets. The biggest one, InternetTabletTalk.com, is sponsored by Nokia, that's why it can exist.

I have the site almost ready for launch and I could do it quite soon, but I'm still not sure if it'll be a good decision. It would be really bad if it turned out to be a financial fiasco and not only died itself but also made me go bankrupt and killed My-Symbian... Some of you may not be aware of it, but we're talking about large amounts here. Webhosting of My-Symbian costs about $7000-8000 a year. If I launch My-Maemo and make it good enough for several thousand people to keep visiting on a daily basis (which may result in additional $3000-4000 a year) and it turns out that the site doesn't pay for itself, then it may be the end of both sites...

And no, I wouldn't count on user donations, either. Here on My-Symbian, I got 6 donations over the last 6 months and the total amount was sufficient to cover..... four days' traffic. I doubt it'd look better with Maemo visitors so it'd be naive to consider it a revenue source.

Well, it's sad that money (or lack of it) can block good and useful projects, but that's how this world works...
taike
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 06.Oct.2008 03:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Aside from the financial burden, the dedication you made for running My-Symbian webhosting is enormous. Us users ask what we want but the webmaster must make a tough decision on the future of My-Symbian. This world works not fair indeed.

Back on the topic, I'm happy to see Nokia commie, tablets, and touch UI devices can bring us Psion successors.
nj7
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

Phone: S60 v1_v2_v3_v5_^3_Android

PostPosted: Monday, 06.Oct.2008 08:44    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

"Well, it's sad that money (or lack of it) can block good and useful projects, but that's how this world works..." Sad Sad, but True, indeed... maybe Nokia could "hear" that, because a site like MySymbian promoting Maemo platform, it´s a good exposition for then, if, they are serious about the tablet world (and Maemo platform).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS Series 90 All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic