MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
upgrading symbian uiq 2.x to symbian s60 3.x on moto a925

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS UIQ 2.x
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtsy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: Motorola A920

PostPosted: Friday, 19.Sep.2008 15:31    Post subject: upgrading symbian uiq 2.x to symbian s60 3.x on moto a925   Reply with quote   

Hi guys!

I have a small problam. I just bought a 2nd hand Motorola A925 and bought a big SD card, so I want to get the most out from this interesting pda. But unfortunatly all new software is written for Symbian S60 v3. So since my software is already all buggy and crashes for every little thing, I was wondering if I can change the OS to Symbian S60 v3.x

If that is not possible, can you tell me how to flash this OS to get the bugs out, or can i upgrade it to any newer version?

Greets Xtsy
Sera
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
13 in 10 posts
Thanks given: 32

Phone: Nokia 9210 (x 13), 9210i (x 4), 9110 (x 3 + 1 PROTO), 7710, 6680, 9300 (x 2) and Motorola A925

PostPosted: Saturday, 20.Sep.2008 08:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Actually your device has UIQ v2.x, not S60 v2.x Wink But unfortunately the device cannot be flashed to UIQ v3.x. Here you will find some software to run on your device:
http://my-symbian.com/uiq/download/index.php

There is some GPS software, games (3D Rally Pro Contest, NES emulator, Doom, Hexen and Heretic) and SmartMovie (!!) available for this device, so it's nowhere near worthless. Yet flashing the device to a newer version isn't possible at home, I think.
xtsy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: Motorola A920

PostPosted: Saturday, 20.Sep.2008 10:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hmmm damn. Can anybody tell me then how to reinstall the UIQ v2.x that is already on the phone? it would be nice if i could get those master reset functions back working and the control panel back.

I think the problem is that when i turn the phone on, it says that program MAIN is closed. Everything is working ok i think.

Oh and one off topic question. If you connect GPS via BT on a A-GPS phone, does the GPS really work faster? Im new to gps gadgets.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Saturday, 20.Sep.2008 13:07    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

As Sera wrote, it is not possible to "upgrade" your Moto to either UIQ 3.x or S60. Actually, even if it was possible to upgrade it to UIQ 3.x, it still wouldn't make much sense as there is much more software available for UIQ 2.x than for UIQ 3.x. True, software development for UIQ 2.x has stopped long ago and there are no new software releases for it, but there are hardly any new programs for UIQ 3.x, too, so you won't miss much.

Take a look at our UIQ 2.x software catalog - it contains over 1200 programs. At the same time, the UIQ 3.x software catalog only contains some 250 titles...

As you wrote, things look different with S60 3rd Edition, which has much more new software releases, but unfortunately it is not possible to reflash your device with the S60 platform so it's simply not an option for you.

Quote:

If that is not possible, can you tell me how to flash this OS to get the bugs out, or can i upgrade it to any newer version?

Yes, it is possible to update firmware of your A925. Either visit some authorized Motorola service centre and let them do it for you or search the web for newer firmware version and update it yourself. As far as I know, there is no official downloadable firmware update for A92x from Motorola (only Z8 and Z10 are supported) but you can find unoffical firmware updates on many A92x user sites.

Check Google:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=a925+firmware+update
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS UIQ 2.x All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic