MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Sony Xperia X Compact

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ABCDKE
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 26

Phone: 700 not 4eva *sniff*

PostPosted: Tuesday, 05.Dec.2017 22:13    Post subject: Sony Xperia X Compact   Reply with quote   

Greetings gentlemen! :]

New Year's approaching, and I intend on treating myself to a new phone. This Xperia X Compact seems like a good choice, because:

1. 4,6 inches is probably the smallest screen size you can find in a moder phone. Not a fan of the recent "shovel" 5+ inch screens, honestly.
2. It's sexy-looking as heck. Although that's kinda subjective.
3. Fairly fresh. Released September '16 and has Android 7.
4. Has a SD slot, duh.
5. Also has a big fat 32 GB of memory.
6. Has the little neat stuff like camera button and LED notification light.
7. Decent battery life.
8. Awesome screen.
9. Fancy twenty-three megapixel camera. I'm not much of a camera guy, but the sheer NUMBAH sounds remarkable!
10. At the moment it costs just under 300€, which is kind of an ok price for something I intend to use during the next few years IMO.
11. Have I mentioned that it's small, tiny, cute and unbelievably sexy?

Now you might ask, if it's so awesome then why don't you buy it, smartass?
The thing is, all of the above stuff that impresses me comes only from reading the specs and reviews. There might be something I might be missing there. So I'd appreciate if some of you kind gentlemen put your 2 cents into this.

Cheers! :]
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 07.Dec.2017 04:20    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

You didn't mention two specs which are the most important on the extremely resource hungry Android: what CPU/GPU and how much RAM does it have? 3 GB of RAM seems to be the absolute minimum on Android now, and so is some decent 6 or 8-core CPU. Or else the whole thing with its dreadful Java is just slow.

As for the camera, don't get impressed by such numbers. The truth is the opposite: the LOWER the sensor resolution the bigger the individual pixels it consists of, so the more light a pixel can capture and give clearer and crisper signal that doesn't need to be artificially amplified (which generates noise). I am not saying that it is a bad camera because now all cameras are really good (and especially Sony has really good sensors), I'm just saying that if it was some 12 MPix or so then it would have been even better, especially in dim light or in dark parts of an image. Anyway, much more important factors are what lens does it have (materials, aperture, focal length, etc.), if it has back-illuminated sensor (increases the amount of light reaching it even more), if there is optical image stabilization or not, if the HDR mode (if any) is decent, and so on. That's what impacts quality in the biggest degree, and not some exaggerated ~6000x4000 resolution while 12 MPixel sensor's resolution is still whopping ~3200x2400 which gives photo lab quality on even A3 size prints... So the question is: are you going to print your photos on A2 paper, or will you only watch them on a 2 Megapixel display of your phone or computer, i.e. scaled down 12 times? Wink

Note how the top professional Canon EOS 1D X Mark II (costing some $6000 without any lens) has 20 MPix on a sensor of full frame size - 36 x 24 mm, whereas the most entry level Canon 750D has 25 MPix on a sensor of APSC size - 22 x 15 mm, i.e. almost 3 times smaller. This clearly shows how pixel SIZE (and not resolution) is preferred when quality is what really matters the most.

And the Xperia has 23 MPix (more than the $6000 1D X) on a 1/2.3 inch (some funny 6.3 x 4.7 mm) sensor, i.e. some 30 times smaller than the 1D X (and still 11 times smaller than the 750D)... Wink

Again, I am not criticizing, and I'm sure it'll be a really GREAT camera when it comes to quality, I'm just trying to explain that megapixel count is the last thing to get excited about. In reality, manufacturers SACRIFICE quality for the exaggerated sensor resolution in mainstream products, just to have some impressive huge number to highlight in their specs for unaware people to get excited with. If they used a lower sensor resolution, specs would definitely look worse but images would definitely look better Razz

Just my two cents...
ABCDKE
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 26

Phone: 700 not 4eva *sniff*

PostPosted: Thursday, 07.Dec.2017 17:29    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

You didn't mention two specs which are the most important on the extremely resource hungry Android: what CPU/GPU and how much RAM does it have? 3 GB of RAM seems to be the absolute minimum on Android now, and so is some decent 6 or 8-core CPU. Or else the whole thing with its dreadful Java is just slow.

Wikipedia says:
"CPU Hexa-core 64-bit (dual 1.8 + quad 1.4 GHz)
GPU Adreno 510
Memory 3 GB"

Seems ok to me...
To be honest, I don't know how does Android still have the nerve to lag with all this hardware at its disposal. I mean, this is more powerful than my previous PC, haha.

Quote:

As for the camera, don't get impressed by such numbers.

Thanks for all the wisdom! I'm not much of a camera guy so I didn't know about such specifics. So less is indeed more, haha! :]
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 07.Dec.2017 19:42    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

CPU and memory are fine.

Quote:
I mean, this is more powerful than my previous PC, haha.

Not really. Plain numbers don't mean anything. If such hardware was indeed more powerful than a PC, your desktop would also run whole day (at 30 degrees C without any active cooling) on a 3.7 Volt 2,7 mAh battery (which is around the same as two AA cells in series like in your TV remote control) rather than from a 500 Watt PSU Wink Mobile CPUs may have impressive MHz/GHz figures but due to completely different architecture and design heavily optimized towards power efficiency their actual throughput per MHz is incomparably lower.

As for the camera, I wrote it because you highlighted it, so I thought it's worth explaning. Note that even the 4K video resolution is just around 8.8 Megapixels, so this crazy Megapixel race in sensors of a pimple size is mostly about marketing Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Android All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic