MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
EasyVolume

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Blackberry 10 - BB10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 22.Jul.2016 04:11    Post subject: EasyVolume   Reply with quote   

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/59997987/

One of the most annoying things on my Z10 (and all other BB10 devices) has always been its lack of a one touch mute button for multimedia. To silence some loud content (e.g. a yelling ad or movie popping up on some web page) it takes pressing and holding (or pressing repeatedly multiple times) the Volume button until it reaches zero, which takes ages. And then it takes the same to revert back to the original volume.

So I made a small, simple and lightweight headless app, which works invisibly in the background, takes virtually zero resources or battery life, and provides exactly what I needed: one touch volume control and Mute/Unmute:

* long-pressing the Volume Up or Down button shows a dialog where you simply tap a button with the desired volume level (Mute, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, Full)

* short-press the middle Media button to instantly Mute or Unmute the current audio source.

In Settings one can enable or disable either of the funtions, decide whether Mute/Unmute also works when the screen is off or the device is locked, and enable or disable Vibration feedback.

The application automatically recognizes the current audio device (Speaker, Headphones, Handsfree, mono Bluetooth, A2DP stereo Bluetooth, HDMI, Lineout, etc.) and instantly starts controlling it.

Additionally, the Channel Control page shows and allows to change volume levels of multiple audio devices, including those not currently active.

The UI part is only needed to configure the options and then it can be closed and forgotten as small and lightweight C++ service continues to work in the background. It also autostarts upon reboot.

The "Muted/Unmuted" message pops up for about 1 second to confirm the operation and then it automatically disappears. It has an "OK" button because the NotificationDialog (the only thing a headless service can display) requires at least one button, but it actually serves no purpose.

It has been submitted to BlackBerry World for approval today and should become available within a few days.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 22.Jul.2016 08:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It used to take 2 days (and in case of headless apps even 3-4) to get an app approved and now - guess what - they approved it within AN HOUR Very Happy But no, it's not because the company now works so well under Chen but because no one makes apps for BB10 anymore so those QA guys have nothing else to do Wink

Anyway, EasyVolume is now available:

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/59997987/

Last edited by Michal Jerz on Monday, 25.Jul.2016 18:43; edited 1 time in total

The following users say THANKS! for this post: ginniec

ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts
Thanks given: 15

Phone: E63, E.82, N8, N9, N900, 808, Blackberry Z10, Passport SE

PostPosted: Sunday, 24.Jul.2016 21:26    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thanks, Michal, this looks amazing! I'll be sure to get it.
ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 24.Jul.2016 21:41    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Something else I've discovered about this amazing OS: I clicked on the link that Michal gave above and found it was possible to install the app by reading the barcode off the computer screen. Such an easy way to install an app - no need to search in Blackberry World.
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: Nokia N8, Blackberry Z10

PostPosted: Monday, 25.Jul.2016 16:20    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

ginniec wrote:
Something else I've discovered about this amazing OS: I clicked on the link that Michal gave above and found it was possible to install the app by reading the barcode off the computer screen. Such an easy way to install an app - no need to search in Blackberry World.

Laughing Laughing I never notice that QR code beside apps description until you mention it nor did i know what it is for.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 25.Jul.2016 17:58    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Right, the QR code brings you directly to the app. I usually provide QR codes in announcements of my apps, see e.g. here.

ginniec,

Quote:

Thank you very much! If you like this app, may I ask you to give it a review in the store? It is so difficult to get any reviews these days...
ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 25.Jul.2016 21:15    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Yes, I certainly will, Michal. Smile

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Michal Jerz

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 26.Jul.2016 01:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thank you so much!

Not only, as I mentioned, BB10 users don't care to rate apps (which at the same time doesn't stop them from permanently complaining about dissatisfied developers constantly abandoning the BB10 platform -- see Crackberry forums) but additionally the BBW store client has a bug (reported a year ago and still not fixed) that prevents reviews from being shown until there's a certain number of them. And if no reviews show up then it discourages others from posting them - closed circle.

I'm trying to collect three reviews which is needed to submit the app for the "Great apps on BlackBerry" category (that replaced the "Built for BlackBerry program) proving a little bit better exposure and discoverability. Funny how these days getting three reviews on this platform is something that takes ages...
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 28.Jul.2016 08:50    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I just got a new review, so I assume that it must be yours - thank you! I needed to use the web version of the store on PC to check it, as the God damned store client on the phone still doesn't show any of the reviews.

I wonder how developers can still be willing to support this platform if BlackBerry (by completely ignoring this bug for a year or so) don't make it possible to even just have the reviews seen by other people...

That's how it looks on my Z10 - two reviews in the title, none shown.

Does it look the same on your phones?
Tiffansy
My first post!
My first post!

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: 97

PostPosted: Monday, 13.Nov.2017 12:53    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 14.Nov.2017 20:18    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I'll be sure to get it.

With a "97" phone as in your profile, I seriously doubt it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Blackberry 10 - BB10 All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Posting/discussing/exchanging warez/cracks/serial numbers/links to web sites offering such resources and/or any other illegal content
is FORBIDDEN on this forum and results in an immediate BAN.

Symbian and all Symbian-based marks and logos are trade marks of Symbian Software Limited.
This website is not in any way endorsed or supported by Symbian Software Limited.    (C) 2001 My-Symbian.com All Rights Reserved