MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
BB10 no longer supported issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Blackberry 10 - BB10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts
Thanks given: 2

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Saturday, 27.May.2017 01:48    Post subject: BB10 no longer supported issues   Reply with quote   

This is a continuation of this topic

http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=400691&sid=bb8511e5c741a87 61ed43efbe7499da1#400691

which was about issues as BB10 is no longer supported. This is continued here in order not to pollute the Sailfish forum with BB10 specific topics.

Michal Jerz wrote:
Since I updated my Passport to 10.3.3 (which was many months ago) I can't recollect a single site that would give me any kind of certificate or encryption problems (which indeed was sometimes the case on 10.3.2).

Yes, I have flashed 10.3.3 on an old decommissioned Z10 and I don't see the same problems with the browser certificate there. I have not yet received the 10.3.3 update on my Passport. Blackberry claims they have issues with the 10.3.3 update and that is why I'm holding back with this update. Also using an autoloader on the Passport wipes everything you have stored, pictures, contacts, everything.

If you mess up, you cannot downgrade to 10.3.2 again for some reason.

So I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. My Passport works fine except browser issues and I don't want to mess it up and I have a lot of stored files on it too.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1088 in 693 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 29.May.2017 04:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Yes, I have flashed 10.3.3 on an old decommissioned Z10 and I don't see the same problems with the browser certificate there.

In 10.3.3 they made a lot of improvements to the browser, including its encryption and certificate support. Prior to 10.3.3, the browser was stubbornly refusing access to some websites. Some of them could be whitelisted by the user and then it would open them, but some just wouldn't be opened at all. Since 10.3.3 this problem is gone, I haven't encountered it even once.

Quote:

I have not yet received the 10.3.3 update on my Passport.

I got 10.3.3 update on my Passport many months ago. And then a few days later I got another update fixing some issues. Since then I haven't encountered any problems. My Passport's been working perfectly fine on 10.3.3 for more than half a year now.

I don't think that still waiting for the update makes any sense. Despite promises that updates would be served directly, BlackBerry never changed it and they are still dependant on network operator approval. As you probably can imagine, network operators no longer give a damn about testing and approving firmware updates for BB10 phones, so there are poor chances that it'll ever come.

As I mentioned, I got 10.3.3 for my Passport the day it came out, but I never got it for my Z10. As 10.3.3 worked great on my Passport, I got tired of waiting for it to come for my Z10 and I downloaded and flashed it myself. It took a few minutes and since then I can enjoy 10.3.3 on my Z10 too.

So trust me that it works perfectly fine (especially on the Passport which is much faster than the Z10) and don't waste time waiting for it anymore as it may never come. More than six months of using it on my Passport is more than enough for me to ASSURE you that it works just great.

Right, you can't go back to 10.3.2, but there's just no reason to ever do it.

You don't have to use the autoloader if you want to keep all your contents and settings. There are several "non-destructive" ways to update the OS without losing anything (e.g. using Sachesi). This is done in exactly the same way as the OTA update you normally get, the only difference is that you need to manually download the update files to your PC and then they are sent to the phone from your computer rather than directly from BlackBerry servers, but the actual update process on the device is done the very same way as via OTA, so the result is IDENTICAL as if it was the official OTA update.

Files needed to do such non-destructive update can either be downloaded to your computer from BlackBerry server (let me know your Passport version - e.g. SQW100-1 - and I'll give you direct links to the files), or can be extracted from the autoloader executable. Then you just place them all (radio, core OS, debrick/apps) in a folder and then drag&drop the folder into Sachesi and it automatically does all the rest.

If you need detailed instructions on how to do it, let me know. It's very simple and I updated the OS on my BB10 phones this way many times, as I never bothered to wait for OTA updates to arrive when leaked versions were already available.
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 12.Jul.2017 00:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I think I'll take the 10.3.3 pill now. I tried to wait until Blackberry would release the official 10.3.3 but I think it will not happen and they will not even bother to with the update. So if you have the links it would be nice thank you (for SQW100-1).

The troubles with webpages are becoming annoying now.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1088 in 693 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 12.Jul.2017 19:34    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

As I wrote, it's mostly because of no network operator approvals. After BBRY announced leaving BB10, only a few mobile networks bothered to test and approve the 10.3.3 update (and in most cases only the first release of it). So while the update itself has been ready and available from BlackBerry servers for ages, it just doesn't appear on your phone because it wasn't (and will never be) approved by your operator. So waiting for it makes no sense.

Which update method would you like to use? "Destructive" (autoloader, wiping everything) or "non-destructive" (keeping everything intact)?

Autoloaders are here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3f5SPSADgrFMWdHeS1uLWNYRk0

(the autoloader file to download and then unzip is Passport_10.3.03.2205_SQW100-1-2-3-4.7z i.e. the third one listed)

-

Or if you prefer the non-destrictive (OTA-like) way that keeps everything intact on the phone, then the best way to do it (as this way you get all the update files directly from the BlackBerry server and the update is done identically as via OTA) is as follows:

* Download Sachesi 2.0.3:

https://github.com/xsacha/Sachesi/releases/download/2.0.3/Sachesi2.0.3 -Windows.7z

* Enable Developer Mode on the phone, connect it to PC, run Sachesi

* Go to the "Search" tab in Sachesi, click "Show Settings" button

* Enter 302 as Country code, 610 as Carrier code and select Passport as Device and SQW-100 as Variant. This way you'll select a Canadian carrier which has the 10.3.3 OS update approved for the Passport.

* Click "Search" button

You should get the following in the box above:

Update 10.3.3.1463 available for SQW 100-1!

Now right-click anywhere on the file list and select "Check All" from the context menu, then click the "Download" button below.

Now simply wait until all files get downloaded to a folder automatically created (and named as the firmware version) in the folder where you have Sachesi installed.

Last step: with device connected, now switch to the "Install" tab in Sachesi, in Windows find the folder where all the files got downloaded, and then simply drag & drop the whole folder containing all downloaded files onto the "Install" tab.

Your phone will display "Update in progress" and after some half an hour or so you will have the OS updated just like if you got an official OTA update.

----

As I said, this is the best way as all the files get downloaded directly from BlackBerry servers and the update itself is done in the same way as OTA.

If you have any questions or problems, let me know.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: MeowTseDong

MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 13.Jul.2017 19:49    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thank you and the upgrade seems to have gone well with Sachesi. The browser is a little bit snappier now, especially for those pages which use scripting. Gmail became faster but Google maps is still unusable and hangs in the browser. That was the last update I did with BB10 unfortunately since it is EOL just like Symbian.

We will see how long the Passport can be useful without any browser updates. If I find any more problems I will post them here.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1088 in 693 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 14.Jul.2017 03:00    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well, of course it depends on one's personal needs, but for me the Passport is 100% sufficient and satisfactory for now and at least one more year if not longer. Its performance is more than OK, it's stable and secure. Not to even mention its outstanding build quality.

I have Android 7.1 (Lineage 14) installed on my Nexus and although Android's functionality and user experience has very seriously improved (to the point that I can honestly say that I like it), it is still very unstable and insecure, beyond what I could consider switching to.

It is shocking for me to hear that new Android version will get a special "Panic Mode" to allow quickly stopping all malicious apps in the background. For a BB10 user it is just UNBELIEVABLE that anything like that can be needed in a commercial OS. Since I started using BB10 4.5 years ago I haven't heard of a SINGLE security threat on it.

Why would I care about whether BB10 is still developed or not, as long as it just works? Apps? Either I make what I need myself or I can always install an Android app, majority of which work just fine on the Passport (maybe not as fast as on Android devices but still). What else?

If the built-in browser is not enough for you, why not try installing the latest Chrome or Firefox for Android?

Quote:
Gmail became faster but Google maps is still unusable and hangs in the browser.

Hmmm.... I don't know why. It works for me perfectly fine. Both in the browser itself and in several apps of mine (EasyStreetView, GeoCoder, etc.) which access Google Maps via WebView, i.e. actually also the web browser, just "encapsulated" within the app. No problems whatsoever, other than that Street View is now terribly slow after Google switched to a new renderer that uses some idiotic transitions and effects slowing everything down for no sane reason.

Maybe try to clear the browser's cache...
AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
59 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 8

Phone: Nokia N70, Nokia N95 8 GB, Nokia E52, Nokia E61, Nokia 9300i, Nokia E90, Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 and C6833

PostPosted: Saturday, 12.Aug.2017 15:05    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Just one comment regarding Lineage OS: If it is unstable I would say that it is because of device specific issues. There are difference in driver support and availability between Android devices and if we are talking about an older pre-Snapdragon 810 device, it is more evident since Qualcomm doesn't made updated drivers for Nougat/7.x.

My Xiaomi Mi Max is completely stable under 7.1.2 with the latest August security patch but my Xperia Z Ultra doesn't have a reliable Nougat available due to a combination of factors.

If there's an idea and desire to run Android Nougat in a more stable way I would recommend a newer 2016/2017 device with Snapdragon 625/626, 630, 650/652, 660 or 8xx series (820/821 or 835836). Those chipsets are fully supported, resulting in proper operation of Lineage OS.

Privacy Guard is an excellent tool for dealing with permissions and I would say that malware can be avoided as well (most malware come in through questionable sources).

I would say that "malware on Android" is a bit of an overrated issue, fed by journalists. Yes, there are issues with the system and they can be discussed etc but it is a lack of caution that cause typical infections. It is like computers - you can get adware and other stuff if you browse certain sites and click on "install" on everything.

The problem is that even if you secure the system to the max a reckless user can still cause problems by installing and allowing dangerous permissions. A typical example is a "screensaver" with permission to read contacts AND connect to the Internet (and a user granting both).
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1088 in 693 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 20.Aug.2017 16:10    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well, regardless of the OS, I'm wondering what does the QA in an app store exist for if it doesn't reject as obvious threats as e.g. a screensaver reading contacts and sending them out. If the QA process doesn't rule out even such basic things then it only wastes time and delays app submissions.

Permissions are the most important mechanism to protect the user from malicious app behaviour, so verification if an app uses permissions it doesn't need for any officially advertised functionality (and if so then checking what are they used for) should be the most basic QA test, especially if it is well known how careless majority of users are when it comes to accepting all permissions an app requests.

It looks that in Google Play there is no proper QA and instead of that they released a funny app to substitute for it, which of course will help only those who will have that app installed.

Anyway, I am NOT denying that Android has made a huge progress when it comes to both stability and security. It certainly did. But for a BB Passport user it just still isn't on par, which shows how good BB10 (not really developed since early 2015 or so) must have been as an OS if in H2 2017 it still delivers full usability and security on its 2014 hardware and 2015 software.

It is like an Amiga. I recently needed to make a 3D animation and guess what: I launched WinUAE with Amiga OS 3 from early '90s, started some ancient Lightwave 5.0 in it and within 2 hours I created and fully rendered an amazingly good looking animation in 1080p, not any worse (and not really much slower) than any modern raytracing software on PC would deliver. That's how good it was. It only lacked performance due to no new hardware since early '90s, but now that WinUAE on a fast PC provides emulation performance in the ~200 times the speed of an Amiga 4000 range (and that only because WinUAE doesn't make use of multiple cores, or else on my 6-core Xeon the emulated Amiga speed would probably be around 1000 times the Amiga 4000) it is actually 100% usable. A good OS can remain usable over decades if only there's a sufficiently fast hardware to run it on, whereas a poor OS is poor even on a dedicated latest and greatest hardware...
AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
59 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 8

Phone: Nokia N70, Nokia N95 8 GB, Nokia E52, Nokia E61, Nokia 9300i, Nokia E90, Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 and C6833

PostPosted: Sunday, 20.Aug.2017 18:10    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I fully agree regarding the Amiga. I would also agree when we are talking BB10.x.

There's just one mobile operating system I have a hard time to accept "benefits" with and it is the iOS and it is purely because of Apple hype/propaganda and air-head users trying to claim how "superior" it is (Hintry.... and there's people like him now in 2017, using similar arguments).

My take on Android is that it gets things done BUT there's a need for a new, better player. Some people try to insist to the next ice age that "iOS are better" but that system just isn't and their arguments are ignorant (at best). A system improving on the flexibility of Android and pair it with further enhancement and refinement would be more than welcome.

I think such a system will come eventually but perhaps from China or Russia (perhaps Sailfish based), while I am a bit skeptical about the prospects for a "western" player here due to a lot of hype and propaganda that seems to aim for an Apple/Google duopoly (hence a lot of flawed statements about other platforms).

Amiga OS would be excellent as a portable multi-purpose OS and platform since it is fast, resource efficient, safe and secure and reliable paired with a very high degree of flexibility. I.e. the complete opposite of the "Apple walled garden".

The border to idiocy are crossed when statements about "iOS is the best platform" and "iPhone is the best device in the market" enter the scene. If there are one system with a lot of problematic concepts (including having ignorance as its bread and butter), that one is the number 1.

Some people insist that their iPhone is "so power efficient" and on further questioning it turns out that it "looses a few percents every night" - my Android device consume 0.0-0.1% per hour...

I was considering BB10.x and tried the PassPort but were a bit put off by the events going on at BB at the time and also that the platform was strictly tied to just one brand. I don't believe in "in-house" platforms but rather open ones with broad backing. It is fatal when a system is just in hands of one company.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Blackberry 10 - BB10 All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic