MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Nokia's results

Go to page
Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Windows Phone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1088 in 693 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 10.Feb.2015 00:23    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

And as for making choices on purchases based on companies fairness - but how far can it go? It is true that it is well covered for MS. But how about other products? Are u checking everything this way? Meat? Cars? Clothes?

Checking... not. If I simply KNOW something bad about some company then I simply avoid its products. I don't spend my life on checking/investigating such things. We live in the age of information, so everyday you get a lot of information about different things anyway, that including information about how some companies make their business now or how they did it in the past.

Cars? Indeed, I don't buy cars made by companies which during the World War II were making tanks and other weapons used to invade my country, completely destroy it, and kill both my grandfathers. For the same reason I don't buy goods from companies (now active in the IT industry) which were part of the IG Farben corporation during the war and were manufacturing Zyklon B gas used to kill millions of people, or were making medical experiments on people in concentration camps. Such companies not only never paid for such an awful history of theirs, but that's how they became big and rich. Unfortunately, I sometimes have to make exceptions to this rule, e.g. when I have to buy aspirin from one of such companies, due to no alternatives being available.

Oh, and I also don't buy frozen pizza (or any other food) from a company whose owner was a Waffen SS member and fervent Hitler supporter, and his family still owning the business even today supports the "Silent Help" (Stille Hilfe) organisation of former SS-men, so buying their food is like paying pension to those SS-men. They recently admitted it themselves, but that only because someone wrote a book about it, so it couldn't be kept secret any longer.

I just know it, so I make conscious choices. It's my money so I'm free to decide how to spend it. Most probably the companies whose products I buy instead are not 100% pure and fair, either, but surely not THAT FILTHY.

Sadly, I clearly belong to a tiny minority, with everyone else not just not knowing it but not even caring about such things at all. People have absolutely no problem with buying goods of companies whose products in the past were used to murder their grandparents and that's how those companies became wealthy and famous, millions of people have no problem with owning cars of a brand that Adolf Hitler himself launched and christened in late 1930s, etc., so no wonder that such people won't ever spend a second thinking about things of so incomparably lower importance as how e.g. Microsoft has been doing their business.

Sorry for such a rant, but - well - you asked.

Quote:
Re my friends problems with battery - he has a little time to bother unfortunately

Well, then it's his problem, no one will solve it for him... But it makes little sense to blame the phone manufacturer for that someone's battery got worn out. It is normal that Lithium batteries only last about 150-300 cycles and then quickly lose capacity.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Peter_Pan_A

ph
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
7 in 7 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Currently: Nokia Lumia 930, previously: iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S2 & 3, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, Omnia HD, SE P1i, K750i, Nokia E71, HTC Pro, Nokia E90, P900, P910i, P990i

PostPosted: Tuesday, 10.Feb.2015 01:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Concerning the battery, it started from the very beginning, off the box. He was not asking for this unit, he simply got it from his employer. Same for me. Got a Lumia. No issues with the battery whatsoever.

As for the purchasing strategy, interesting attitude. I wonder if there any movements lto promote it. As an immediate thought, I read somewhere today that there are already medicines that cure cancer. No companies are interested to bring this fact to life. I guess this would be an even more important thing to speak about aloud, as this could save lifes as we speak...
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1088 in 693 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 10.Feb.2015 02:30    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Concerning the battery, it started from the very beginning, off the box. He was not asking for this unit, he simply got it from his employer.

The truth about battery life is that these days it hardly depends on phone model or brand but much more on usage pattern and personal settings. All phones are very similar hardware-wise. Your Lumia has almost the same hardware as his Z10 - very similar ARM CPU (and actually whole chipset and therefore also radio/modem etc.) clocked at similar speed, display of similar size and resolution, and so on.

The real difference in battery life depends on how one uses the phone and what settings he uses. Some people have maximum display brightness, multiple email accounts set to check email every couple of minutes, some power-consuming applications being used frequently (or working in the background all the time), and so on. And then they compare it with a phone of some other person who uses his phone in a much lighter way and with much more power-efficient settings, and they complain about their phone's battery life being poor... Which makes little sense, because if they used that other person's phone but with their own settings and in their heavy way, they'd also get a much worse battery life.

As for the Z10 (or BB10) specifically, there is one additional reason of possible poor battery life: using Android applications. Indeed, some of them eat battery like crazy. I've got one application in both an Android and native version installed, and the Android version consumes power at some ~ 20 times (!) faster rate, while doing exactly the same as the native one. So to save power one should avoid using Android apps and use native ones whenever possible.

Quote:

As for the purchasing strategy, interesting attitude. I wonder if there any movements lto promote it.

I don't know and I don't care. These are my very personal principles. Every person should be intelligent and aware enough himself not to buy products of a company that got rich by e.g. making things which killed that person's grandparents in e.g. a gas chamber, or that sponsors retired SS-men and Heinrich Himmler daughter's organisation. If one doesn't care about such things, well, it's his/her problem not mine.

Same way, I do not try to convince anyone else not to buy M$ products, I am only saying that I won't ever buy them because I do not intend to shell out my money on Elop's salary.
ph
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
7 in 7 posts

Phone: Currently: Nokia Lumia 930, previously: iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S2 & 3, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, Omnia HD, SE P1i, K750i, Nokia E71, HTC Pro, Nokia E90, P900, P910i, P990i

PostPosted: Tuesday, 10.Feb.2015 02:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

As for battery, indeed personal usage patterns can be the trick. Though Lumias are more commonly commented on as having good battery life. And for example iPhones habe always been criticized for very poor battery performance.

As for your position on purchasing - you then dont want to change the world... Fair enough. Smile
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1088 in 693 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 10.Feb.2015 03:40    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Though Lumias are more commonly commented on as having good battery life.

Maybe because of no real multitasking. On the Z10 not only you can have multiple applications running simultaneously, but also starting from OS 10.2.1 up "headless" services have also been supported, i.e. apps which can invisibly run in the background all the time without any windows or dialogs. This obviously consumes more power than a phone which only runs one application at a time and freezes all the remaining ones.

Quote:

As for your position on purchasing - you then dont want to change the world...

By what I do, I certainly do change the world much more than the remaining 99,9% of those who don't care at all and do nothing. Information about certain companies' past has been publicly available and quite easily accessible for a long time, also in popular places visited by 'average people'. For instance, on my country's biggest news portal (Onet) visited by 15 million people a month, during the last couple of years I've seen articles (featured on the home page) about this very topic something like 10-15 times. If one has never found any of such articles worth reading (which was clearly the case as it didn't change people's buying preferences in any measurable degree) then there's really nothing you can do to make such people interested, simply because for them the only thing they care about is their well-being.

Every human has his own brain and I am not in position to teach anyone how to use it, or even less to try to force anyone to use it at all.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Peter_Pan_A

ph
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
7 in 7 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 10.Feb.2015 08:10    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Re multitasking, indeed this is surely impacting the whole power ecosystem a lot.

Re using brains, I think they do use it but for different things. 😀
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts
Thanks given: 2

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Tuesday, 10.Feb.2015 10:58    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Symbian has full multitasking and known for great battery life. Full multitasking can be combined with great battery life if the applications are properly designed. 99.9% of the time, the app should just sit and wait for events regardless if the system supports multitasking or not. Timed events should have an allowed span so that the OS can merge timer wakeups.

Windows Phone has great battery life when idle when the application CPUs are all off and only the modem is on. When Windows Phone is doing normal tasks then the battery life is quite bad. Browsing for example drains the battery a lot and the device often gets very hot. Microsoft even seems to have not included proper thermal throttling as there are reports of heat damaged AMOLED screen.

Suspending tasks when the screen is off is really an architectural turkey. This is very evident with Android apps that often abuse wakelocks leading to worse battery life in order to circumvent that the app is suspended during screen off. Wakelocks is really an idiotic solution. Apps should NEVER have the ability to affect scheduling on system level. Any app scheduler setting should only be suggestive.
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts
Thanks given: 2

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Tuesday, 10.Feb.2015 12:20    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Also I forgot to add that in Windows Phone the user has the ability to grant or prevent an application to use background tasks. In practice I think this is a good possibility and it also shows that the application itself shall never decide the system level scheduling as it can be overridden anyway.

I just don't see the point in adding the extra "Background task" primitive. Just let the app live its own life and if the user wants to prevent the app from executing while screen off then the system scheduler should simply stop it from executing.
ph
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
7 in 7 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 11.Feb.2015 08:54    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

All very tech savvy. Assuming smartphones are for nongeeks too, this may be too complicated. Wink
Symdaan
My first post!
My first post!

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: Sony Xperia

PostPosted: Thursday, 13.Jul.2017 11:23    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I had Nokia Lumia 345 before and I was happy because phone was really good battery was ok as well ( better then other phones but no word then Nokia 3310).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Windows Phone All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic