MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
AppList - Nokia Store Alternative

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian ^3, Anna & Belle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jApi NL
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
15 in 13 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: Nokia 9210 E90 9500 N82 E7 HEMA H8 Lumia 950XL BB Passport Moto C Plus

PostPosted: Tuesday, 24.Jun.2014 11:50    Post subject: AppList - Nokia Store Alternative   Reply with quote   

Since I didn't find a notice on My Symbian.com relating AppList , a Nokia Store Alternative , I like to mention this recent possibility of publishing and/or grabbing new or updated Applications for the Symbian OS . Here is a review : www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/19470_Introducing_AppList_beta-and_a .php
However still in beta , it works like a charm .
☺ Regards jApi NL
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1099 in 700 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 24.Jun.2014 19:59    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It is a pity that they don't support paid apps. I've got several updates of my applications for Symbian (e.g. much improved EasyStreetView which has been a best seller on Symbian) which I cannot publish in the Ovi store as Microsoft doesn't allow new Symbian content...
jApi NL
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
15 in 13 posts

Phone: Nokia 9210 E90 9500 N82 E7 HEMA H8 Lumia 950XL BB Passport Moto C Plus

PostPosted: Wednesday, 25.Jun.2014 12:28    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

As a user I have the experience with CuteTube . You pay for the app in 'OVI Nokia Store' and the free update came through AppList . Also AppList sends one back to Nokia Store for payment when you want to install the listed app for the first time .
So AppList is very usefull for at least free updates of paid apps from Nokia Store .
I don't know how schumi1331 thinks about NEW paid apps in the AppList Store and/or AppList is suitable to handle NEW paid Apps outside Nokia Store . Anyway FREE new apps and updates from Nokia Store apps are accepted by schumi1331
☺ Regards jApi NL
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1099 in 700 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 26.Jun.2014 06:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The problem with Nokia Store is that it doesn't provide developers with any customer or order data (but the number of orders and total amount). So it is virtually impossible to know if someone really paid for your application. Of course, there's some kind of purchase confirmation email sent to the customer by the Nokia Store, but it's easy to fake, too. For instance, one can enter any order number there and the developer won't be able to verify it because the Nokia store doesn't provide such information, either.

The only store currently supporting paid content for Symbian is Opera store ( http://symbian.apps.opera.com/en_en/ ) but I don't know how popular it is because there's only cr*p there.

I can only further develop for Symbian if there is an easy way to sell my apps. If I have to spend a lot of time on getting payments in some complicated way, I'll prefer to spend it making apps for other platforms. So I hope that someone will launch a simple and easy to use app store for Symbian supporting paid content.
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
3 in 3 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: Nokia N8, Blackberry Z10

PostPosted: Wednesday, 02.Jul.2014 17:27    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Nokia do have the way to verify each users purchase with IMEI but nokia will never such data as i have emailed them before for this issue.Now to protect my app integrity outside nokia store,my app would only work when users imei is added to the app database.I have make it clearly that legal users need to email me their nokia store and imei to me for next update to work.Out of ten of thousand paying users,only a dozen had email me.Kind of discouraging to continue provide for such a small gainer but will try my best for my love for symbian.I would have expect more and we both know about the faking stuff but hope those illegal won't know that.

I should have implement the verification method earlier before nokia store closure as the app s a already have all extra feature fully working.Kind of regret now.

I think my sentences is quite messy but i hope you understand Embarassed Embarassed
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1099 in 700 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 02.Jul.2014 19:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The biggest problem with Symbian apps now is that there's no way to sign them. Either you need to make your apps self-signed (but this requires removing all stuff that requires capabilities not supported by self-signing) so that everyone can install them, or you need to release your application as not signed at all, but in such case only those with hacked phones can use it.

Nokia lied to us all, because they officially promised to fully support Symbian by 2016, while on January 1st 2014 (i.e. TWO YEARS earlier than promised) they cancelled ALL support for Symbian - locked the Ovi store, closed all signing services, removed documentation and technical support, etc.

I wish someone sued Microsoft/Nokia for those broken promises - I'm sure that for many developer companies it caused losses or even ruined their business.
David Moore
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
3 in 3 posts

Phone: Nokia 9500, 9300, 2xE90, 2xN9 64gb/2xN9 White, 2x808, 3xOro Bk

PostPosted: Thursday, 03.Jul.2014 21:17    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
It is a pity that they don't support paid apps. I've got several updates of my applications for Symbian (e.g. much improved EasyStreetView which has been a best seller on Symbian) which I cannot publish in the Ovi store as Microsoft doesn't allow new Symbian content...

For those like myself who did buy Easy Streetview, your comment suggests those who purchased it and are interested in updates, should perhaps, forward those Nokia store purchase histories and/or conifmation emails.

Cute tubes updates are working fine. App list for free apps only as was said.
Those who want to complain about app list really should not, it is a start.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1099 in 700 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 03.Jul.2014 23:44    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Cute tubes updates are working fine. App list for free apps only as was said.

Well, the author of CuteTube was lucky enough to have implemented updates via the app itself while he could still upload it to the Nokia Store. If I knew that Nokia was going to lock the Ovi store and disallow any updates, I would have also done it this way and implemented in all my paid apps an in-app update function. But Nokia misled us all when they promised full support for Symbian by 2016, so I didn't feel the need to do it until it was too late. It's Nokia to blame, not developers who were put in just as awful situation as users.

Quote:

Those who want to complain about app list really should not, it is a start.

I'm not complaining about it. I'm just saying how it needs to develop so that it becomes a real alternative that can attract more developers. Please be sure that the Nokia Store will not keep supporting Symbian apps forever (even in the current crippled form) - I bet that soon Microsoft will decide to close Symbian and MeeGo sections completely - quite possibly by the end of this year. So already now those who maintain AppList should start thinking about some support for paid apps or then it will be too late.

This very site had its own app store with paid Symbian software for Series 80 Communicators and Series 60 smartphones (the first Symbian app store on the Internet) already in 2001-2003 (then replaced with a store run by Handango as it was too time-consuming for me to run the store myself). But that store supported credit card payments already in 2001, which was as easy as simply signing an agreement with a company processing Visa and Mastercard online payments. It's not a rocket science and those AppList guys can easily do it if they only want to.

If I am only offered normal conditions to sell Symbian applications, I will instantly offer both updates to the existing ones and also new apps. But I'm not really interested in doing it in such a complicated manner like payment via the Nokia Store, download via AppList, etc. because I don't really have time for it.

I've got a much improved and enhanced version of EasyStreetView released on BB10 - it has a street view coverage layer, switching between landscape/portrait orientation while retaining all settings (map position, panorama position, heading, map type currently shown etc. - the old version resets them to defaults on orientation change), support for full screen street view in both landscape and portrait, for the current location it gets not only current coordinates from GPS but also heading from compass, and more. Several other apps of mine (e.g. GeoCoder, with a lot of additional features) also got major updates on BB10. I'd just *LOVE* to also release them for Symbian, if I only can normally distribute them. Having a dozen of apps for multiple platforms and a few more in development, I really don't have time to check email, verify Nokia Store confirmation emails sent by people and manually send files.... I need a NORMAL app store handling everything automatically. It's not lack of respect for users of my apps, it's just a physical limitation. The Symbian version of EasyStreetView has several thousand users - just imagine how much time it would take to deliver each update to them manually - a month, two?

So let's hope that AppList soon gets support for paid apps and then I'm in...
pitoka
My first post!
My first post!

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: Nokia 808, N8, N97 mini, Lumia 820

PostPosted: Saturday, 05.Sep.2015 18:26    Post subject: easy street view   Reply with quote   

I don't get it. You can get Gravity and Nokia camera pro through app list and they are paid apps. I wish easy street view would be available again soon.
pcteam
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: E6

PostPosted: Sunday, 08.May.2016 18:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal, even though I'm not an owner of your EasyStreetView app for Symbian, I have to tell you even from the review by Steve at AAS, this is something I regret not being in possession of. I feel your frustration on a number of fronts, from the foregone lack of discussion and appreciation from Symbian visitors to this site, to the whole calamity and the manner in which the platform met its doom. Unsurprisingly, the platform is just not worth a developer's time, although there are still a few nuggets of gold being supported.

Having said that, please do let me know if it's possible, in whatever way. to get hold of EasyStreetView.

Many thanks.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1099 in 700 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 22.May.2016 00:55    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I'd really like to help, but I don't even have Symbian SDK installed anymore, nor do I have the installation files.

Furthermore, Google has changed their Maps and Street View APIs since then numerous times (which forced me to update the BB10 version at least three times to reflect it), so I'm not even sure if the Symbian version (not touched for years) still works, and even if it does it surely doesn't look or work without many glitches.

Since Symbian times I modified and seriously extended the program on BB10, compared to which the Symbian version remained extremely simple, not to say primitive for today.

So I would need to find the Symbian SDK, install and configure it, almost recreate the Symbian version of the program, and repackage it as unsigned as no developer certificates are still valid (which might require removing all functionality requiring any capabilities), and so on. I really can't promise I will have the time to do it anytime soon Sad
pcteam
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: E6

PostPosted: Friday, 27.May.2016 22:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Understood. I'm guessing the same applies to GeoCoder?

Either way, I'm still exceedingly keen on getting my hands on both EasyStreetView and GeoCoder for my E6. Naturally it's going to be primitive compared to other platforms, but the features they had shall suffice me.

I understand it will take time, which I'm happy to pay for. We can negotiate price privately.

Please do let me know.
juho
My first post!
My first post!

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: Nokia 808 pureview

PostPosted: Tuesday, 04.Oct.2016 09:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
I'd really like to help, but I don't even have Symbian SDK installed anymore, nor do I have the installation files.

Furthermore, Google has changed their Maps and Street View APIs since then numerous times (which forced me to update the BB10 version at least three times to reflect it), so I'm not even sure if the Symbian version (not touched for years) still works, and even if it does it surely doesn't look or work without many glitches.

Sad

Well I guess that this doesn't come as a suprise, but the EasyStreetview on symbian has not worked on symbian for some time... It does show the google map, but not the street view.

Juho
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1099 in 700 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 05.Oct.2016 00:32    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Well I guess that this doesn't come as a suprise, but the EasyStreetview on symbian has not worked on symbian for some time... It does show the google map, but not the street view.

Well, it's because Google keeps changing their APIs all the time. I regularly update the BB10 version to reflect all the changes and keep the app working smoothly without any breaks or issues. Unfortunately, as explained earlier, I can't update the Symbian version anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian ^3, Anna & Belle All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic