MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
IssTracker For Symbian

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian ^3, Anna & Belle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Moore
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
3 in 3 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: Nokia 9500, 9300, 2xE90, 2xN9 64gb/2xN9 White, 2x808, 3xOro Bk

PostPosted: Monday, 16.Feb.2015 22:46    Post subject: IssTracker For Symbian   Reply with quote   

I bought a copy of IssTracker from the store - 2 issues:
1. It seems to take forever to get GPS lock.
2. I cannot see to enter a user defined Sat into the 'user' view - any ideas why?
N/A
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thanks received:
31 in 27 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: N/A

PostPosted: Tuesday, 17.Feb.2015 08:29    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Do you have Wi-Fi on/enabled? Is cellular data enabled? The A-GPS/assisted-GPS feature depends on a network connection for a faster satellite fix (it sends "hints" to a central server that returns approximate location and I think info about satellites that should be visible at that time in the approximate location).
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1099 in 700 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 18.Feb.2015 04:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hi David,

Thank you for buying ISSTracker.

Quote:

1. It seems to take forever to get GPS lock.

This doesn't have anything to do with the application. It only requests location and the rest is done by the system's location routines.

Question is if Nokia's AGPS support still works. AGPS function needs to contact a web server and get ephemerides (satellite locations) from there in order to find satellites much faster. Without it, it takes much longer, even up to many minutes, for the GPS to get lock. By default, a Nokia AGPS server is configured in the phone. Now that Nokia has been eaten by Microsoft to the point that even the new Lumias are now Microsoft Lumias, and after the Ovi store and many other services have actually been nearly shut down, question is if the AGPS server still works reliably.

Try changing supl.nokia.com to supl.google.com in phone settings (in order to use Google's AGPS service instead of Nokia's) and see if it helps.

Quote:

I cannot see to enter a user defined Sat into the 'user' view - any ideas why?

Is the Internet connection enabled on the phone? The program instantly checks if the entered satellite data is valid and tries to download its orbit data, so without Internet connection (and thus impossibility to verify and download any data) it just discards the changes.

The problem with Symbian versions of my applications is that Nokia never provided developers with the signed versions (the ones being offered in the store) and that over a year ago they made it impossible to update any of them. As a result of which, I wasn't able to test or modify any of them since late 2013. In such circumstances, I can only be GUESSING what may be the problem as I don't even have access to a version that you have (Nokia signed) unless I...... purchase it (if it's still possible in my country, as Nokia has already disabled access to the Ovi store from many countries). If Nokia recently screwed up something with their digital signatures which might prevent some functionality from working, I wouldn't even know about it.

It was a really bizarre company, and it became even more bizarre after Microsoft acquired it.
David Moore
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
3 in 3 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 23.Feb.2015 09:53    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I will try your suggestion for changing agps setiings. What is odd is that even when Drive gets a lock, Iss Tracker isn't, Starfinger works BTW. And yes Internet is working well, so perhaps I am just using it wrongly.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1099 in 700 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 24.Feb.2015 01:07    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

even when Drive gets a lock, Iss Tracker isn't, Starfinger works BTW.

If other apps get GPS fix then ISS Tracker should get it, too. I did fully test ISS Tracker for Symbian prior to submitting it to the Ovi Store and it worked OK (and it never got any negative reviews mentioning any problems with GPS fix), but it was nearly 2 years ago... As for now, I cannot even test it on my own phone because Nokia (or Microsoft) no longer provides even just developer certificates, nor do they provide to the developer the signed version that's available in the store.

The only thing that comes to my mind is that maybe Nokia scr*wed up something with the digital signature of this application (it was them who were signing the apps, not the developer), which might have caused that the capability required by GPS positioning doesn't function. But as I wrote, I cannot verify it in any way, and even if I could, I couldn't do anything about it as any modification would require re-signing the app, which is no longer possible.

I'm really sorry for not being able to be of much help. It is a very tough thing now to provide any support for Symbian apps. Nokia made it almost impossible. 14 months ago they made it impossible to update or fix any applications on Ovi. Even if there was a bug, it would be impossible to fix it due to no possibility to sign any Symbian applications anymore.

The only thing I can suggest is that you try to uninstall the application and then reinstall it anew. If it still doesn't function, please request refund from Nokia.

I guess it is time to remove all my Symbian applications from the Ovi store. I can't provide any customer support, I can't update and further develop them, my developer certificates expired long ago so I can't even use them on my own phones (unless I buy the signed versions, which I could not modify, anyway)..... This is all a bad joke.
David Moore
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
3 in 3 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 25.Feb.2015 23:23    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thank you for the feedback. I will experiment some more with this program at the weeekend, as it is not for serious use in any case.

I notice that when the problem is started for a whiile - it is showing a green curve for the HST (in Starfinder that means it has a lock), so perhaps it is getting a lock after all and just saying it''s not.

I prefer Starfinder of course and I a interested in the Jolla tablet if it actually happens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian ^3, Anna & Belle All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic