MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Undelete files... and what filesystem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS UIQ 2.x
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lastninja
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
3 in 3 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: Motorola A920 / Motorola A925 / Nokia N900

PostPosted: Thursday, 10.Jan.2008 19:19    Post subject: Undelete files... and what filesystem?   Reply with quote   

hi!
does any1 know of any undelete applications for symbian phones?
its easy to recover files from memorycards with the plenty of undelete/recovery apps that exists for PC's...

but how about recovering files from the internal memory of a symbian phone... what filesystem is used on the internal memory partition of a UIQ2 phone (is it FAT16 perhaps?)...?

...after many years with no "full" backups, the "motorola a920" i have, decided to reformat itself and erased almost 500 textmessages, notes and other stuff on the internal memory... this is the reason im looking for someway to recover the data (if not all ...then atleast partially)

i guess the best bet is to run a application on the phone itself since i doubt the pc gets full access to the phone with the "motorola desktop suite"...

...and yes... i know it was clumsy not making any backups Sad
...now i wont use this phone in fear of overwriting the "sectors" containing the erased data until i find a way to undelete/recover the files... (til then ill use a 2nd a925)
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Thursday, 10.Jan.2008 22:20    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The Symbian OS version in UIQ 2.x uses VFAT, which is FAT16 with long files names. VFAT was originally inroduced in Windows 95.

There exists no file recovery software for Symbian phones. People reformat the internal disk instead and afterwards restore a backup.

--
Bent Laursen
lastninja
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
3 in 3 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 11.Jan.2008 08:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

thanks for the great and fast reply! Smile

if i ever decide to learn to program in c++ this will be the first application ill create (or port from someone elses source code)... then i will only hope that symbian os7 dont restrict raw reading of sectors, or whatever measures that will be necessary to restore the deleted files
terrsym
My first post!
My first post!

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: mobile

PostPosted: Thursday, 02.Apr.2009 05:20    Post subject: Re: Undelete files... and what filesystem?   Reply with quote   

lastninja wrote:
hi!
does any1 know of any undelete applications for symbian phones?
its easy to recover files from memorycards with the plenty of undelete/recovery apps that exists for PC's...

but how about recovering files from the internal memory of a symbian phone... what filesystem is used on the internal memory partition of a UIQ2 phone (is it FAT16 perhaps?)...?

...after many years with no "full" backups, the "motorola a920" i have, decided to reformat itself and erased almost 500 textmessages, notes and other stuff on the internal memory... this is the reason im looking for someway to recover the data (if not all ...then atleast partially)

i guess the best bet is to run a application on the phone itself since i doubt the pc gets full access to the phone with the "motorola desktop suite"...

...and yes... i know it was clumsy not making any backups Sad
...now i wont use this phone in fear of overwriting the "sectors" containing the erased data until i find a way to undelete/recover the files... (til then ill use a 2nd a925)

Hi,greetings! Very Happy
How about trying this file undelete software?
Maybe it could help you.
lastninja
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
3 in 3 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 29.May.2009 00:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

that was almost like spam so i dont know if im supposed to thank u or not... but to suppose u had kind intentions ill say thanks anyway.

but thats not the solution... the solution is to create software that can read sectors on the internal phonememory in raw format, and then hope that the sectors havent been fully erased/overwritten. this will probably not happen unless i create the software mysefl, and im to inexperienced with programming atm, so it will have to be a future project then, and just hope the sectors arent overwritten already...

i know that data can be recovered from sd-cards/memorycards so i hope it will be just as simple with the phonememory, and i also hope that uiq2/symbian7 dont prevent raw access to the data

The following users say THANKS! for this post: AIV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS UIQ 2.x All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic